Researchers in Alzheimer’s believe that certain foods contribute to memory loss, while others may boost memory. Get started today and protect your memory!
There are several foods that you should avoid if you are concerned about memory loss. These include:
- White Foods: White Pasta, White Bread, White Flour, White Rice and White Sugar
- Processed Meats and Cheese with Nitrates: Cold Cut Meats, Meats in a Can, Hotdogs, Cheese in a tube or package, Sausage
- Foods Containing Diacetyl: Beer, Margarine and Microwaved Popcorn
Alzheimer’s Food Superheroes
There are spices, specific foods and types of diets that are believed to improve memory and promote overall health. You will be happy to learn that coffee and chocolate may help prevent Alzheimer’s! Spices such as turmeric and rhodiola rosea have anti-inflammatory qualities, while spices like rosemary improve memory. Cinnamon has both anti tau and antioxidant qualities. Tau is the key brain protein that is the likely cause of Alzheimer’s and dementia. Neurons, the highly specialized nerves cells in the brain, die when tau malfunctions and fails to clear the cells in the brain of toxic and unwanted proteins.
The foods that help memory include:
- Vegetables and Leafy Greens: Spinach, Kale, Radish, Cruciferous Veggies such as broccoli, cauliflower, bok choy.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Fish such as Mackeral, Tuna, Salmon, Sardines, Beans and Flax seeds
- Berries and Dark-Skinned Fruits: Raspberries, Blueberries, Strawberries, Cherries, Plums and Oranges
- Healthy Oils: Cold pressed virgin coconut oil and extra virgin olive oil
The MIND Diet
Mediterranean and DASH Diets: Together, these healthy diets are called the MIND diet because of the known benefits to memory. This diet may reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s as much as 53%! Even those who “sort of followed” the diet, reduced their risk by a third. The diet recommends 10 brain healthy food groups and 5 to avoid. Green leafy and other vegetables, nuts, blueberries, beans, whole grains, fish, poultry, olive oil, wine. The five foods to avoid include limiting red meat, limiting margarine and butter, limiting cheese, pastries and other sweets, fried and fast foods.
- Alzheimer’s.net. https://www.alzheimers.net/2014-01-02/foods-that-induce-memory-loss/. Accessed on October 31, 2017.
- Science Daily. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/07/090705215239.htm. Accessed on October 31, 2017.
- CBS News. https://www.cbsnews.com/media/mind-diet-foods-avoid-alzheimers-boost-brain-health/. Accessed on October 31, 2017.
- Alzheimer’s Association. The Search for Alzheimer’s Causes and Risk Factors. https://www.alz.org/research/science/alzheimers_prevention_and_risk.asp. Accessed on October 31, 2017.